Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Nearing Our End of Our First Year of Home School

It has been a while since I posted about our homeschooling experience. It has been quite the experience, and while I am 66% sure we will not home school next year, I can't guarantee it. I am motivated only because our boundary school is awful, in my opinion. And boundary exempt schools are quite far away. Though second grade will be our next year with Kara, and that is my prime grade for teaching. I LOVE it.

I taught second grade a few years ago and loved every single stinkin minute of it. I could teach second grade till I died if I was able. :) So I'm unsure about not homeschooling next year.

We home schooled Kara this year because it felt right, she was bored at school, and many other things. See This Post about why we chose to home school this year.

In all, the year has been spent with blood, sweat, tears, and joy. My daughter, whom I love with all my heart, is a mini-me!!! Through and through. And because of that we can get along famously or battle to the death with our matching stubbornness.

I have loved most of the homeschooling experience with her. I home school preschool with supplementary private preschool for learning appropriate behaviors in a classroom situation. I home school because I love my children (not saying that those who don't home school don't love their children). This year has definitely been filled with ups and downs.

But when things like the unfortunate shooting in New Town, Conn., took place, I was happy to have my daughter safe and sound at home with me.

We don't full time home school. Kara attends an agricultural science-based school, Louise's Farm School. Kara LOVES it. Initially, when we started this home school path, Kara was weirded out by the whole thing. She thought the kids she went to LFS with, also went to public school. Not realizing that each of those kids were also home school kids.

I have had a few realizations over this time.
1) If I wasn't working, I would've been a better homeschooling mom/teacher.
2) If I was more dedicated to a schedule, it would've flowed better with more commitment.
3) The first year is really a learning experience with home school. (as I was told by many)
4) Just because I have a masters degree in elementary education, DOES NOT mean that I will be able to keep my cool in our home school room while teaching double digit math.
5) My relationship with my daughter has been significantly enhanced because of this experience.

What will next year bring? Only God knows. He is the reason we chose this direction, and He will be the reason we continue or not.

Here are some pictures of what we've been doing...

Snowshoeing with Flat Stanley at LFS

Learning how to test for avalanche risk at LFS

Midday schoolwork .. working together

Nothing like daddy rides

Nature journals

Home Ec? Baking blueberry muffins in the Easy Bake

Buffing up grammar .. Work Sample Finals

Science experiments .. Gummy Bunny (bear) in water
Growing an avocado tree
Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment